Wednesday, October 17, 2012

fall flora.

Y'all need to know that I've never been a big seasonal decorator. I think I've just always avoided it because I don't want my decor to be cheesy and ridonkulous. In my opinion, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear - not by letting Snoopy take over my front yard. But now that our casita is just BEGGING for some seasonal lovin', I decided to bite the bullet and take baby steps toward creating a classically simple, fall feeling. Baby steps.

Baby step numero uno. Create a festively fall wreath.

Check.

I have been somewhat "okay" with the idea of placing a themed wreath on our front door for quite some time now, but I just couldn't find the right one. Everything I saw was a glittery ghost explosion, and I was wanting the wreath to be predominantly natural and simple. I was also hoping to find a good wreath "base" that I could then re-accessorize for each season.

Enter JoAnn's.

I really just went in to see if they had an idea that I could knock off, but I came out with all the supplies I could ever desire for my fabulous fall wreath! I started off by grabbing up this grapevine wreath for a mere 400 pennies. I absolutely loved how terribly natural it was.

I then figured I could snag up some fall-colored berries to accessorize the wreath, thereby creating a natural-looking, simple fall decoration to our front door. I found these guys at three dollars per stem, not including my 40% off coupons:

Once I had all of my supplies, I literally spent 30 seconds sticking the berries through the grapevines in an aesthetically pleasing arrangement:

As I just stuck the berries through the vines, there were some stem wires hanging out of the wreath:

I didn't want to cut the stems in case I wanted to repurpose them at a later date, so I just tucked them up through the vines as well!

My final step was to create a hanging mechanism for the wreath. I used some floral wire I had on hand to loop the wreath...

...and then created another loop that could be hung around the pre-existing nail on our front door:

All that was left to do was hang it on the door!

I absolutely love how my tiny little baby step towards seasonal decorating turned out! It's perfectly natural and oh so simple. I also love that it took me a total of five minutes and less than $15 to create! My plan is to remove the berries and replace them with either some ornaments or painted pine cones for the Christmas season. Oh how I love a multi-purpose piece!

How are y'all decorating for fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment