Friday, January 20, 2012

a girl needs her space.

I don’t know about you, but I am a “station” girl. If I have a project or any task that needs accomplishing, I have to get out all of my tools, find a flat surface, and create my station. Since Mr. Spouse and I have been married, my station has been our dining room table. Awesome for a workspace, but terrible for, oh you know, eating. First apartments do not lend themselves to “stations” very well – it’s all about cramming everything we’ve both ever owned / stolen from our parents into an infinitesimal space.
Since I was stuck with the dining room table, I found myself daily laying out all of my work and project stuff on the dining room table then hurriedly clearing it away to share a meal with Mr. Spouse. Not ideal. We tried turning our guest room walk-in closet into an office area and workspace, but quickly realized we needed the added storage.
Ultimately, I decided that I did most of my work on the computer, so if I could just find an area for my computer, mail “catch-all”, etc. I could function. But where to put the computer? Sadly, for over 8 months, my computer sat here:
012
That’s right – poor Mr. MacBook sat underneath a chair. Are we seeing the problem? So, I gazed around the abode and set my sights on these:
           001
We have some really fantastic built-in shelves, but unfortunately, all of the shelves were full of:
          003
DVD madness. All of our DVD’s were taking up every single shelf. I could take the madness no more! That’s when I saw this post over at I Heart Organizing and knew that my solution was here! If I could just condense our DVD’s onto one shelf, I could have 4 fabulous shelves to play with! So I ordered these incredible DVD sleeves from Amazon, and got to work! And guess what – all of those DVD’s now fit perfectly here (Alphabetical dividers are still to come…):
       013
In ONE SINGLE BASKET! Hallelujah! The sleeves allow you to place both the DVD cover and 2 discs in one sleeve:
   015  019
So now that our DVD’s were no longer eating up such fabulous shelves, I could get to work decorating and create me a small, but necessary, computer space. Here’s where we came out:
       007
The bottom two shelves now house my computer, our mail “catch-all” basket, and my favorite books, pens, etc.
       009
The next shelf holds our DVD picnic basket, which left me 2 shelves to decorate at my leisure – books, our dads’ license plates, wedding photos, and more!
010
I love love love the space! I know that my computer shelf is tiny, but at least it has a place to call home besides under a chair. I love feeling like all of my “stuff” is easily accessible (pens, scissors, tape, chargers, etc.) and ready to use. It helps to know that everything now has a home that is still tucked away and not intrusive.
What do we think? Are you a station person? Where do you like to do your work?
signature

5 comments:

  1. Eryn, your blog is too cute and I love how you fixed up your shelves! I definitely understand what you went through, because I am currently using my dining room table as my desk. Hope y'all are doing well! p.s. glad Josh owns a copy of Hairspray ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very useful and important information, it was so useful to me and other readers, thank you for always feeding the readers with interesting and useful information, your blog is indeed doing very well, kudos, meanwhile you can checkout this unihez post utme past questions and answers

    ReplyDelete
  3. We global Assignment Expert have highly-qualified academicians who are always ready to help students write their perdisco accounting assignments. There are highly- experienced academic writing help providers who have a desire to help students in their academics.

    ReplyDelete

  4. MalaysiaTranslators.com is your trusted source for marriage certificate translation services in Malaysia. Our skilled translators deliver precise and high-quality translations for your marriage certificates.
    Marriage Certificate Translation Services Malaysia

    ReplyDelete